Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Emmanuel

“Hope is a star that shines in the night,
leading us on till the morning is bright.
When God is a child there’s joy in our song.
The last shall be first and the weak shall be strong,
and none shall be afraid.”
(When God is a Child, Chalice Hymn 132)

For many years in my previous church, we would sing “When God is a Child” during the lighting of the Advent candles. There are four stanzas themed Hope, Peace, Joy and Love. Each year a different stanza seems to touch me and this year I’m moved by the stanza with the theme of Hope.

As I talk with many of you and others in the neighborhood around our church, there is great worry and concern over the economy and jobs. When I talk to friends back in Indiana, they tell me that the Midwest is suffering with job losses and foreclosures. One phrase I usually here is, “I hope things will get better.”

As we enter this season of Advent – a season of waiting, longing and anticipation I hope that we can once again place our hope in the one who loves us so much that we have the gift of a baby. This baby named Jesus is also called Emmanuel—God is with us. In whatever darkness you may be experiencing this season turn to the star that shines in the night. If you aren’t living in darkness, then I HOPE you will be the light of Christ to the world!

Emmanuel,
Steven Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment